Candle Safety Tips: How to Safely Burn Your New Urban Re-Leaf Candle
We’ve all been told not to leave a candle burning unattended, but how likely is it really that an unwatched candle will start a fire? How can something that smells so good and lights up your room pose a danger? The truth of the matter is that a candle is an open flame and should be treated carefully.
The most common causes for house fires are unattended cooking equipment, heating elements, electrical equipment, and smoking. While candles make the list as well, they are not as inherently dangerous as some of the other causes. According to the National Candle Association, 85% of candle fires could be avoided by following three very simple candle safety tips.
Urban Re-Leaf candles are unlike any other candle you’ve tried but they still need to be burned safely. Read on to learn how to safely burn your new Urban Re-Leaf candle and to receive simple tips to make it last as long as possible.
Tips to Safely Burn Your Urban Re-Leaf Candle
The typical scented candle comes in a glass container that keeps the wax from spilling out as it melts. Because the hot wax is contained, you may not think there is any risk involved in burning the candle. In fact, the candle itself is not the risk – the risk is that the candle might be knocked over, spilling the hot wax and burning wick onto another surface that could then catch fire.
When it comes to candle safety tips, there are three primary rules to follow:
- Never leave a burning candle unattended.
- Keep candles out of reach of children and pets.
- Never burn a candle near things that could catch fire.
These rules may seem like common sense, but even a small mistake can lead to a big fire, so don’t underestimate the importance of candle safety. To ensure the health and safety of yourself and your family, take to heart these more detailed candle safety tips:
- Trim the wick to ¼ inch before burning the candle to control the height of the flame. The Urban Re-Leaf wick trimmer is the perfect tool for this.
- Try to keep the wax pool free from debris including spent matches and wick trimmings, which could catch fire.
- Always use candle holders that are specifically designed for candle use – they should be sturdy, heat-resistant, and large enough to contain the melted wax.
- Burn your candle away from drafts, vents, and air currents in a well-ventilated room. Even a light draft could carry a stray ember across the room to accidentally catch something on fire.
- Be sure to use long matches or a long-reach lighter when lighting a candle and keep your hair and clothing away from the flame.
- Follow the instructions for burn time – generally speaking, you should burn for no more than 4 hours and cool for 2 hours before relighting.
- Keep anything flammable well away from the lit candle – this includes drapes, furniture, bedding, books, carpets, etc.
- Don’t burn the candle all the way down to the bottom of the wick – stop when about ½ inch of the candle remains.
- Put at least 3 inches between burning candles if you are burning more than one at a time.
In addition to knowing how to properly burn your Urban Re-Leaf candle for safety, you also need to extinguish it properly. Using the wrong method to put your candle out could cause the wax to splatter. Here are some simple tips for putting your candle out safely:
- If the flame burns too high or starts to flicker repeatedly, put the candle out and let it cool then trim the wick before relighting.
- Always use a candle snuffer to extinguish a candle to prevent hot wax from splattering.
- Never use water to put a candle out – it may cause the wax to splatter and the sudden temperature difference might cause the glass vessel to break.
- Make sure the candle vessel is completely cooled before you touch it or try to move it.
- Double-check that the candle is completely out, and the wick is no longer glowing before you leave the room.
Are some candles more dangerous than others? Candle sticks may be more dangerous than jar candles because the melted wax isn’t safely contained in a vessel, leaving an exposed burning wick. No matter what type of candle you’re burning, however, the same safety tips apply.
Make the Most of Your Urban Re-Leaf Candle
When shopping for a scented candle, it is important to consider the quality of the candle itself as well as the vessel containing it. Urban Re-Leaf fragranced candles are made from premium materials including a unique coconut wax and 100% cotton wicks. These materials ensure a clean, non-toxic burn as well as a long burn time. Plus, the fragrances are highly concentrated for an improved aromatic experience.
Enjoyment of your Urban Re-Leaf fragranced candle doesn’t end when the candle runs out. Every Urban Re-Leaf candle comes in a frosted amber jar with a bamboo cork that can be used to hold make up brushes, safety pins and other nick nacks.
To see our extensive collection of Urban Re-Leaf Candles, visit Urbanre-leaf.com today.
Leave a comment
Comments will be approved before showing up.
Also in Urban Re-Leaf Candle Blog
Happy Holidays! If you're still searching for the perfect gift for friends and family who love the cannabis/ hemp world, here’s my holiday gift guide featuring the best cannabis cookbooks, accessories, infused eats, and infusion devices out now.